Custom ClocksAugust 28th, 2006 by brady
Clocks play an important role in everyday life. Time awareness is essential to the function of the world we live in. Customized clocks are both practical and useful. They can be hung on a wall or put on a desk. The practicality of customized clocks ensures your message or logo is seen.
Customized clocks range from the simple and inexpensive to the stylish and classy. The most commonly used clocks for promotions and gifts are: alarm clocks, mantel clocks, desktop clocks, computer clocks, kitchen clocks, wall clocks, digital clocks, clock radios, countdown clocks and stopwatches, time zone clocks and world clocks.
A Brief History of Clocks
- The first sundial was used in 1500-1300 B.C.
- In 400 B.C. the water clock measured the outflow of water from a vessel.
- In the 1400s mechanical clocks were built in Europe using a mainspring and a balance wheel.
- In 1657, Christian Huygens invented the first pendulum clock, but it didn’t work at sea.
- In 1839, the telegraph was invented, enhancing the transmission of time signals.
- In the 1850s, the regional time zone was established.
- In 1886, the R.W. Sears Watch Company started selling affordable timepieces.
- In 1928, W.A. Marrison of Bell Laboratories built its first “quartz” clock which later was used for wristwatches.
- Quartz clocks are still used today because of their superior timekeeping performance and affordability.